Sometimes it becomes difficult to activate the Windows operating system which is why Windows 10 error code 0xc004f012 occurs. You may be wondering what caused this error and how to get rid of it. Therefore, follow this article because it has all the answers for you. The message “Activate Windows bottom right” often appears the first time you activate the Windows operating system.
Many users have encountered this error when the activation status is lost during a major upgrade. When Windows 10 error code 0xc004f012 occurs, you may receive another message that Windows is currently unable to activate. Apart from Windows 10, the error usually occurs in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.
Symptoms of Windows 10 error code 0xc004f012
When this error occurs, you cannot find the KMS host in your PC’s DNS. Windows displays a message that allows the system administrator to verify that the KMS is published correctly in the DNS. In addition, Windows may also indicate that the syntax of the file, folder name, or volume label is incorrect. In severe cases, it conflicts with the other programs installed on your PC.
Causes of Windows 10 error code 0xc004f012
The problem can occur due to technical issues on your PC. This activation error code may pop up due to the existing product key for your Windows. There is a chance that you will encounter this error if your PC is running an older version of Windows. The existing operating system may not be compatible with your PC. Activating Windows Watermark is the last factor that can lead to activation problems.
Solutions to fix Windows 10 error code 0xc004f012
Check out the solutions below and one of them will certainly work for you.
Method 1: Run the command prompt
- Click the Start menu, type ‘cmd‘ in the search box and press ‘Enter‘.
- Right-click on the first option of the search results and select Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Then type ‘slmgr.VBS / ipk your-activation key-here‘ and to activate online type: ‘slmgr.vbs / ato‘ in the elevated command and press the ‘Enter‘ key. Make sure to put your activation key in the ‘your activation key-here‘ field
- Now open the Run application, type ‘slui3‘ into it and click ‘OK’.
- After that, open the Run window, enter your product key and tap the ‘Activation‘ button.
- It will fix the activation error and activate the operating system at the same time.
Method 2: Run the ‘sfc / scannow’ command
- Go to the Start menu and enter ‘cmd‘ in the search box.
- Open the command prompt as administrator and enter the command ‘sfc / scannow‘.
- It launches the System File Checker which is going to fix all the minor errors in your system.
- When the System File Checker resolves all errors, try to activate the operating system without any problems.
Method 3: Create a system restore point
- Go to the Start menu and search for System Properties.
- Select System Properties and check the box for ‘System protection‘.
- Now choose ‘System Restore‘ and create a restore point for your PC.
- Click the ‘OK‘ button and wait for your system to recover to a point where everything was working correctly.
Method 4: Change the product key
You can eliminate Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012 by changing the product key via Graphical User Interface or Active Windows. Follow the steps below to get this work done.
- Before proceeding with this method, close all running applications and the existing tabs on your PC.
- Right-click on the bottom left corner of the screen and choose Command Prompt as Administrator from the pop-up menu.
- Scroll down to the UAC warning and click ‘Yes’.
- Type ‘slmgr.vbs-ipk XXXX -XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX‘ in the command prompt and press ‘Enter‘. Enter your product key instead of ‘XXX’.
- Wait for the process to complete and activate Windows automatically.
Method 5: Remove active Windows watermark
- Press the Windows logo key and ‘R’ at the same time to start the Run application.
- Type ‘regedit’ into it and hit ‘Enter’ to open the Registry Editor.
- Follow the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Microsoft> WindowsNT> CurrentVersion> SoftwareProtectionPlatform> Activation’ path in the Registry Editor window.
- Double click on the variable named ‘Manual’ just below the above key.
- Change the default value from ‘0’ to ‘1’ in the ‘Value data’ box and click ‘OK’.
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your system.
- The active Windows watermark will go automatically but may come back as it is not a permanent solution.
- Now activate Windows as soon as possible and keep your system safe with regular updates.
Method 6: Activate Windows 10 with your phone
- Click the Start menu, type ‘Slui 4’ in the search box and press ‘Enter’.
- Choose your country and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Windows gives you a toll-free number for your country. Call this number and you will receive a confirmation ID from the automated system.
- Enter this confirmation ID in the pop-up window and tap the ‘Activate’ button to activate your operating system.
Method 7: Rebuild Activation Tokens File
- Navigate to the folder ‘C: \ Windows \ System32 \ SPP \ Store \ 2.0’.
- You must replace C in the folder with the correct drive if the Windows operating system is installed on another drive.
- Find the file ‘tokens.dat’ in the folder 2.0 and rename it as ‘tokens.old’.
- Close the file explorer and run the command prompt (admin) as we discussed in the previous method.
- Then enter ‘net start sppsvc’ and then ‘slmgr.vbs / rilc’ in the command prompt. Don’t forget to press ‘Enter’ after entering each of these commands.
- After the commands are executed, reboot your system for a fresh start.
- Open Settings and go to the ‘Activation’ tab.
- Then choose the ‘Activation Troubleshooter’ to automatically fix the activation problem.
I hope this article has provided you with enough solutions to try to fix the Windows 10 error code 0xc004f012 on your system.