Generally, several users get stuck with error 0x8024200B when users try to update the Windows operating system. This problem is quite widespread. No matter which Windows operating system you use, it can happen in any version. Basically, the error appears when you try to upgrade your Windows version. Typically, the Windows Error Code 0x8024200B occurs due to installing the Windows 10 updates. Additionally, if you are handling older updates, you may encounter the Windows update error.
Therefore, if your system suffers from this error, then you should take immediate steps to fix this annoying problem. Otherwise, it can seriously affect your system. Therefore, check out the methods to eliminate the error code 0x8024200B.
An overview: Windows Update Error Code 0x8024200B
If you try to install the updated version of Windows, you may get the error code 0x8024200B on your system. There are other important reasons that are also responsible for this error code. Look below to find out the main culprit:
- Some files, such as DLL files or registry files, become corrupted or missing while updating the Windows operating system.
- Virus or malware can also affect your system and damage Windows essential files.
- Due to outdated or improperly installed PC driver, Windows is causing update error 0x8024200B.
Well these are the most common reasons for this error code 0x8024200B. It prevents various software and applications from running. It also prevents your system from running smoothly. Therefore, you need to fix the problem with some effective solutions. Therefore, follow them and run them accordingly.
Easy ways to fix Windows Update error 0x8024200B
There are no exact solutions to the error 0x8024200B. Therefore, you should try another possible solution to fix this problem. Before proceeding with the troubleshooting methods, you should try some simple tweaks such as restarting your PC, malware scan etc. If the problem is not resolved, try the solutions mentioned in the section below.
Fix # 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
An easiest way to fix the error code 0x8024200B, first you simply need to scan your device using the Windows Update troubleshooter. However, this can occur after scanning the device. It detects the application or software and solves the problem by removing the faulty software or application. Follow the steps as described:
- First, go to the Windows search box. Then click on the Settings option.
- Next, under the System and Security option, locate the Windows update option issues and click on it. Then click on the Next option.
- The scanning process starts and continues until the problem is resolved.
After the process is complete, reboot the system and check if the Windows update error is fixed or not.
Fix # 2: Reset the Windows Update components
Resetting the Windows update component is another solution to get rid of the error code. Hence performing the steps given below.
- First open the command prompt on your system.
- After that you need to stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer running on your system. To do this, type the commands given in the section below.
- netto stop wuauserv
- netto stop cryptSvc
- netto stopbits
- net stop msiserver
You must press the Enter button every time you type the commands.
After that, you need to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder by clicking on it. Type to do that
- ren C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old en
- ren C: \ Windows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old
in the command prompt window and hit the Enter button after typing each command.
Finally, in the command prompt, type Exit to close the command window.
Then check the status of the error code 0x8024200B.
Fix # 3: Run SFC Scan
If the above solutions don’t work for you then perform this step. Sometimes you get this error message due to missing or damaged Windows files. Therefore, launch the SFC scan to detect and repair the damaged Windows files.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Type cmd in the search bar to open the command prompt. Then run the command prompt as an administrator.
- Type sfc / scannow in the command window and press the Enter button.
- It will scan your device. The entire scanning process takes a while.
After the scanning is complete, check if the error code 0x8024200B is still present or not.
Fix # 4: remove the drivers
Sometimes the error can occur due to incompatible or outdated device drivers. Therefore it is recommended to install the compatible driver correctly and also with the latest version.
- First, click on the Start option. Open the command prompt and type system.cpl in the command box. Then press the Enter button.
- Next, from the System Properties dialog box, open the Hardware tab.
- Now click on the Device Manager option.
- Later, double click on the device type option and then select the hardware device that may report the Windows update error.
- After that, navigate to the driver window and then hit the Uninstall option to completely uninstall the device drivers.
- In the next step, visit Microsoft’s official website and check the updated version of the device drivers and download the driver on your system. Then install the driver and reboot the system.
Fix # 5: Check the health of your Windows laptop or desktop
The above steps are the most effective and reliable solutions for this error code 0x8024200B. But if the solutions don’t help you fix the problem then it should be an internal problem. Therefore, you should check the internal problem of your laptop or desktop. There is also a hardware issue to report the error code. Then you need to check the hardware of the laptop or desktop.
Error 0x8024200B is a common problem for Windows users. Therefore, check the full information provided here about the error 0x8024200B on your Windows devices. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to share them with us by commenting in the section below.
Sarah Johnson is a Microsoft Office expert and I am working in the technology industry for the last 5 years. As a technical expert, I wrote technical blogs, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as www.office.com/setup.